Few adults and even fewer adolescents are aware of the risks associated with excessive gambling.
This workshop explores the convergence between traditional video gaming and e-sports as well as the psychological aspects, emerging trends, and future considerations for prevention and treatment in sports gambling. The portrait of a new problem gambler is emerging—the high school student.
State and community-level substance misuse prevention practitioners and other public health professionals.
- Learning Objects
- Contrast e-sports and sports betting as two unique forms of gambling.
- Define risk factors associated with sports betting.
- Summarize risks in e-sports associated with adolescent development.
- Training Content
- The changing landscape of gambling
- The fastest-growing segments of gamblers:
- Young people
- Implications of evolving state legislation
- Easy access to online gambling and heightened risks
- Help for the youngest populations at risk for problem gambling