This workshop provides an overview of the intersection between problem gambling and substance misuse, then delves into how often the two co-occur and why, and how they differ.
EDC's online Understanding the Intersections Between Problem Gambling and Substance Misuse workshop explores the similarities and differences between problem gambling and substance misuse, including depth of research and data, contributing factors, disease progression, and impacts on communities.
There are important similarities and key differences between the issues of problem gambling and substance misuse, including:
- Depth of research and data
- Contributing factors
- Disease progression
- Impacts on communities
This workshop will focus on strategies for collaboration across public health, substance misuse, and gambling prevention specialists.
State and community-level substance misuse prevention practitioners and other public health professionals.
- Learning Objects
- Compare similarities between substance use disorder and problem gambling
- Identify common risk factors linking substance use problem gambling disorders
- Explain how each problem impacts local communities
- Training Content
- The complex relationship between problem gambling and substance misuse
- The intersections between problem gambling and substance misuse disorders:
- Important similarities
- Key differences
- Shared risk and protective factors between problem gambling and substance misuse disorders
- Factors that impact risk, drug of choice, and gambling participation:
- Barriers to collaboration between the problem gambling prevention field and other disciplines
- Successful collaboration strategies