Montgomery County agencies are invited to apply by 11/1 for an in-person Zero Suicide Academy® sponsored by the Montgomery County Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Mental Health Services Board on November 30th and December 1st.
About the Academy
The Zero Suicide Academy is a two-day training for senior leaders of health and behavioral health care organizations that seek to dramatically reduce suicides among patients in their care. Using the Zero Suicide framework, participants learn how to incorporate best and promising practices into their organizations and processes to improve care and safety for individuals at risk. Zero Suicide faculty provide both interactive presentations and small group sessions, collaborating with participants to develop organization-specific action plans.
Selected applicants are expected to commit to participation in both the Zero Suicide Academy and Community of Practice.
- Virtual Pre-Academy, November 15th from 12pm-1pm EST
- In-Person Two-Day Academy, November 30th and December 1st from 8:30am-4:30pm EST
- Monthly 90 minute Community of Practice Events will run from January 2024 through September 2024 for continued learning and collaboration
The Mandalay, 2700 E. River Rd., Dayton OH 45439
Applications are by invitation only for this In-Person Zero Suicide Academy.
The objectives of the Zero Suicide Academy are to:
- Provide organizations interested in adopting a Zero Suicide approach with the skills and information necessary to launch their effort;
- Create collaborative links between the organizations launching these initiatives in order to provide mentorship and support so that the perspectives, knowledge, and skills of each inform the work of the others; and
- Aid in developing implementation plans for the Zero Suicide initiatives at each participating organization.
How to Apply
- Participant Eligibility
Applicants are to attend the Zero Suicide Academy with a team of 4 individuals including the person identified as the lead for the system's Zero Suicide initiative. Recommendations for team composition include:
Person(s) responsible and with authority for implementation decisions (e.g. Medical Doctor, CIO, ED, BH Director, or IT).
- At least one senior leader/management (irrespective of discipline area).
- At least one person who manages your electronic health records (EHR) system, quality improvement, or risk management.
- At least one person (e.g., case manager, psychologist, social worker, nurse, other) who provides care to patients daily.
Zero Suicide implementation team members should include persons who can both champion Zero Suicide with passion and those who have some power and influence in your system. This can include clinical directors, senior clinical staff with coordination over a certain area or department, information technology, risk management or quality improvement, or a person with lived experience.
- Application Instructions
Invited organizations wishing to be considered for the Zero Suicide Academy will submit the application by the due date. The application will be reviewed by Zero Suicide Institute (ZSI); a complete application will be required including at least 4 team members selected to attend and the completed organizational self-study. Applications are due by November 1, 2023.
The Zero Suicide Academy application consists of:
1. A letter of commitment from CEO or other high level management from your organization. Click here for sample template
2. A narrative that, in two to four pages, responds to the following:
- Briefly describe the members of your team and the relevant skills, knowledge, and experience they bring to the Zero Suicide Academy.
- What are your team’s goals for participating in the Zero Suicide Academy and what does the team hope to learn during the training?
- Organizational Self- Study
A Zero Suicide Organizational Self-Study is to be completed by your implementation team members, along with your application. We offer two versions of the Organizational Self-Study: the General Organizational Self-Study and the Inpatient Organizational Self-Study. Organizations can choose to take one or both available Self-Studies. If you would like to review the questions before taking the survey, we offer a PDF of each version of the Self-Study. To access these resources, you will need to create an account on the Zero Suicide website.
Questions? Please Contact:
- Brittini Long at email@example.com regarding program questions.
- Zero Suicide Institute at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding registration assistance.